August 17, 2014

Dear Lily...

Dear Lily,

My heart is absolutely racing! I can't believe I'll see your face, kiss your cheeks and hold you in my arms in just a few short hours.

So many questions will soon be answered. What size clothes do you wear? What do you like to eat? What's your favorite toy? How do you like to be comforted when you're upset?

With every question that will be answered, I know that there are many that I'll never be able to answer.

I doubt it's fully sunk in with me yet...the first 3 years of your life that I wasn't a part of. I've observed many other adoptive families who've gone before me, and I know the realization of what I've missed will probably come crashing down on me soon.

We know nothing about your birth or the circumstances that led to you being placed in the orphanage. But we were told that you were left at the gate of your local social welfare institute. The fact that you were left at the gate of your orphanage is actually very encouraging to me. It tells me that your birth mom loved you. Maybe she wasn't able to care for you how you needed to be cared for, but she loved you so much that she wanted to leave you where you would be found by people who could help you.

I think about your birth mom often. I think we have a lot in common. We both have daughters who, for different reasons, we are with no longer.

She thinks about you, Lily. I promise you she does. She wonders what you look like now. She wonders what it would have been like to hear you call her "Mama".

Your birth mom and I may be from very different places and very different cultures, but a Mama's heart never forgets the love they have for their children.

I pray for your birth mom. I pray that she knows the Lord and will spend Eternity with Him. I hope this out of my love for you; and, admittedly, I hope this out of my own selfishness because I think it would be the coolest thing EVER if you, me, Caroline and your birth mom all got to spend Eternity hanging out in heaven together.

We have been preparing for you for 9 months, Miss Lily. In the world of adoption, this is a very short period of time. We are so thankful that the Lord orchestrated things to work quickly so that we could become a forever family as soon as possible.

This past month has been extra special for me because I've been "nesting" - preparing our home for your arrival.

With every stroke of paint...



With every polka dot I put on your wall...



With every detail...



I have been praying.

Praying that your room and our home will be a safe place for you...

A place where you will learn, grow, and, most importantly, will know our immense love for you.

I've prayed that you will not only know the love of a family, but that you'll feel the love of the hundreds of people who worked to bring you home to us.

You, Lily-pie, are priceless....but there is a steep price tag on adoption...a price tag that your Daddy and I couldn't afford on our own.

We watched miracles happen before our eyes as people felt led to give very sacrificially so that we could afford to bring you home. The names of every person who helped us are written down for you so that we can tell you story after story of how the Lord was faithful to our family and His word.

We are so grateful to be given the privilege of becoming your Mommy and Daddy, Lily.  Only one more sleep before we become a forever family!!!

Love,
Mama



No comments :

Post a Comment