September 5, 2013

Celebrating Caroline - Day 20

Memory #20:  Caroline’s Celebration of Life Service

I reeeeeally don’t like funerals or funeral homes.

So the leadership at our church took on the enormous responsibility of handling the details of Caroline’s memorial service.
                                                                                          
I can’t say enough about the staff at our church.

David, Rich, Kim and Neil literally put their lives on hold for four days as they prepared for the service.

When I think back to the meetings we had with them regarding the service order, the music selection, Scripture readings, slideshow, flowers, food, etc., I see each of their faces and think how humble they all were…

Willing to do w.h.a.t.e.v.e.r. they needed to do in order to make things as easy as possible for me and Doug and to honor our wishes for Caroline’s memorial service.

This was David’s first funeral to perform.

I can’t even express how much I hate that his first funeral was for our infant daughter.

Hate. It.

However…

I have never heard a better sermon in my entire life.

It was sooooo covered by the Holy Spirit.

Every word he said just oozed with God’s love….

For Caroline.

For me and Doug.

For the world.

Rich brought in his band members and we had a full-on worship service.

Loved. It.

He worked so diligently to prepare the music we requested, the programs and to create a slideshow of Caroline’s pictures that we gave him.

Kim was like my very own personal assistant, working out all the logistics of the day.

There are about 498 details that go into planning a funeral service.

I thought of about 5 of them and Kim took care of the other 493.

I don’t know what I would have done without her.

Neil was such a servant leader – getting volunteers for the nursery, parking lot, greeters, etc.

And all four of them were in their work clothes afterwards, setting up and breaking down chairs and tables so that my family could share a meal together after the service.

Have I made my point yet?

These people are AWESOME.

And we were very humbled that they would give up so much of their time and energy for us.

We decided to call Caroline’s memorial service a Celebration of Life Service because we desperately wanted the focus of the service to revolve around celebrating the life that Caroline was given here on Earth, the Eternal life she is enjoying as a child of God and the Eternal Life all followers of Christ will eventually enjoy.

Several members of our family, our community group and close friends read Scripture throughout the service.

Rich and the band led us in a ton of our favorite worship songs.

David preached an amazing sermon.

And Doug and I gave the eulogy.
I read a letter I’d written to Caroline and sang the song “Homeward Bound” while Doug shared such incredible insights that the Lord had revealed to Him through Caroline’s life and death.

So many of our friends and family were never able to meet Caroline, and we felt incredibly blessed to be able to tell everyone about our sweet little girl.

An astounding number of people were able to squeeze into our little church building, and everyone there blessed us with a written note of encouragement.

We were so honored that day.

So very loved.

More importantly, Caroline’s memory was honored…

And Caroline’s Creator delighted in the praises of His people that day.


The Balloon Project #20

Brent, Kim, Samuel, Claire and John love you, Caroline!!!



No comments :

Post a Comment