August 15, 2013

Celebrating Caroline - Day 1

Our sweet baby girl's birthday is today.
She would have turned 1 year old.



As my husband said this morning, "I will never forget a single detail of the day she was born."
I had a little anesthesia in me so I guess I can't say that as confidently as he can but it sure was a day that is etched in our memories forever.

We have grieved Caroline's death hard this year.  And don't think for one second that we're done grieving.

Depression. Anger. Bitterness. Confusion. Torment.
It's all been experienced in the Williams household this year.

I've prayed for many, many weeks leading up to Caroline's birthday that I'd truly be able to celebrate her life and be grateful for the time spent with her rather than dwelling on the pain of our loss.

So I came up with an idea.
Two ideas, really.

Idea No. 1:
Since Caroline lived 20 days, I'm going to (hopefully) write a post every day for the next 20 days about memories created through Caroline's life.

Idea No. 2:  The Balloon Project
I enlisted the help of friends and family to help us honor Caroline's life by releasing pink balloons in her memory.
By the way, this was an AWESOME idea.  I got texts and emails all day long from our loved ones who were giving thanks for Caroline's life and it absolutely MADE. MY. DAY.

So let's get started!

Memory #1:  Pictures with Daddy

While I was in the recovery room after my C-section, Doug was spending time with his baby girl in the NICU.  Jennifer Rutledge, our FABULOUS photographer through Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, actually made it to the hospital before any of our family or friends and got some precious pictures of our sweet Caroline with her Daddy.  They are some of our most treasured photographs.



The Balloon Project #1

John, Jeanne, John Moak and Jacob won the prize for being the first to bless us this morning with pictures of their balloon release.  I didn't know how I would respond to everyone's thoughtfulness but I burst into tears as soon as I got Jeanne's text. It was much more emotional than I expected it to be.  But I got a good laugh when I noticed that their dog made it in the picture too - Ha!

"We love you and thinking of you today! Sweet Caroline on our hearts and minds today as well, reunited in eternity with our Hudson." - Jeanne
Caroline and Hudson, you are loved and missed.



No comments :

Post a Comment