August 20, 2013

Celebrating Caroline - Day 3

Memory #3: Caroline's Right Foot

We knew that the minutes following Caroline's birth could be fragile so Doug went with her and the doctors as they whisked her out of the OR.

I was still in surgery when Doug came back in to tell me how she was doing.

On first assessment, there were a few physical observations that were incorrect but there was one that could not be mistaken:

Sweet baby girl didn't have any toes on her right foot.

Throughout the pregnancy, we tried to prepare ourselves for a range of physical abnormalities.

But you can't prepare yourself.

It's just not possible.

And I was heartbroken.


A few hours later I got to visit Caroline in the NICU.

She was absolutely beautiful!

ALL of her.

And my heart changed.

What hurt my heart just hours earlier became my favorite part of her body.

It was no longer a "broken" part of her body.

It was part of her.

And I loved every single inch of that girl.



The Balloon Project #3:

David, April, Cole and Connor love you, Caroline!!!




Priceless. 





No comments :

Post a Comment