August 28, 2013

Celebrating Caroline - Day 11

Memory #11: The Scent of the NICU

My explanation of this memory won’t take long because I’m not exactly sure how to describe the very distinct scent of the NICU.

Perhaps…..

Sterile.

I mentioned before that Benaiah has several doctors at the children’s hospital; but the main entrance is not by the NICU.

Several months after Caroline passed away I took Benaiah to a doctor’s appointment.

The main parking lot was full so I had to park on the opposite side of the hospital and enter beside the NICU.

As we walked past the hallway that leads to the NICU…

It was like I hit a wall…

The scent hit me.

Tears stung my eyes.

I felt like standing in the middle of that hallway and drinking in that smell for the rest of my life.

That sterile, hospital-ly smell will forever remind me of my girl.

The Balloon Project #11

Granddaddy and Gran love and miss you, Caroline!!!



No comments :

Post a Comment